"Coolbellup" was recorded by AC Gregory in 1842 as the Aboriginal name of a lake in the area. Surveys by RM. King in 1877 showed the local name to be "North Lake" and both names were shown on plans. The feature is in fact the northernmost of the chain of Lakes lying between Mandurah and the Swan River. In 1954 most of the land west of the lake was resumed by the State Housing Commission and an intensive housing scheme was planned. A meeting in 1957 decided that the place should be called "Coolbellup" in preference to North Lake.