The suburb of Hazelmere is mostly contained in land which was the subject of one of the Colony's earliest grants made to Captain James Stirling in 1829. This was Stirling's "Woodbridge" grant fronting both the Swan and Helena Rivers. In 1883, James Morrison an Auctioneer of Guildford, purchased land in the area. He subdivided his property into small agricultural lots. The name chosen for the estate was Hazelmere, the reason for this choice being to link it with Guildford, as there is a Haslemere in England which is a suburb of Guildford, Surrey. The reason for the different spelling in the name as compared to the original is unknown.