The town of Australind is located on the shores of Leschenault Eastuary, 165 kilometres south of Perth and 12 kilometres northeast of Bunbury. In 1840 a company named the Western Australian Company was formed in England with the objective of purchasing lands in Western Australia and applying certain principles of colonisation and emigration as laid down by one of the Directors, Edward Gibbon Wakefield. The Company purchased 103,000 acres on Leschenault Inlet, and named the settlement proposed there "Australind", a combination of Australia and India. A grand town of 1,000 acres was planned and surveyed in 1840/41, but through causes beyond the control of settlers and despite the labours of the chief Commissioner, Marshall Waller Clifton, FRS, the achievement fell short of the expectations as an agricultural area. Within a few years most of the original settlers had drifted away, and the Western Australian Company was wound up in 1846. Little of the planned town was ever developed, and most of it was eventually re-subdivided.