The Canning Road Board, in April 1940, proposed the name "Bentley Park" for the suburb because an area within the proposed district had been locally known as "Bentley Hill" for over 70 years. Enquiries as to the origin of the name indicated that there was a considerable camp established on this hill when the Albany "Block" Road was being constructed about 1870 and that the Warder in Charge of the men was named "Bentley". John Bentley was an enrolled Pensioner Guard, formerly a Private of the 7th Regiment and served in the Crimean War. He arrived in the colony aboard the "York" on the 31st December 1862. The suffix Park was dropped from the name in 1967.