Ledge Point is a fishing town located on the west coast 120 kilometres north northwest of Perth. It is 17 kilometres south of Lancelin. The townsite derives its name from Ledge Point, a coastal feature first shown on maps in 1875 from a Royal Navy hydrographic survey. The Point takes its name from rocky ledges in the vicinity.
In 1937 the Government reserved land in the area for camping and recreation following a request from the Gingin Road Board. By 1952 there were three squatters' houses in the reserve close to the beach, and when a road to Lancelin was constructed close by in 1953 there was interest from others to lease land here and build holiday cottages. The Government decided to subdivide and declare a townsite, Ledge Point being selected as the name. The townsite was gazetted in 1955.