The townsite of Jurien Bay is located on Jurien Bay, 266 kilometres north northwest of Perth. The bay, from which the townsite derives its name was named on July 1st 1801 by the French expedition under Captain Baudin. The name honours Charles Marie, vicomte Jurien, 1763-1836, a French naval administrator. Early maritime history of Jurien Bay includes visits by Captain Philip Parker King in the brig "Bathurst" in 1822, Lt. William Preston in the hired cutter "Colonist" in 1830 and J W Gregory in the schooner "Thetis" in 1847-8. The bay was first surveyed by James Harding, Harbour Master of Fremantle, in 1865, and a more extensive survey was made by Staff Commander W E Archdeacon R.N. in 1875.
The first evidence of interest in development at Jurien Bay was when a reserve for Shipping and Landing was declared here in 1887. A church site reserve for the Church of England was gazetted in 1930, and a church erected in late 1931. The church was demolished by the Army in early 1942 because it was of landmark value (of possible aid to a Japanese landing!).
View Suburb Profile