Carnamah, gazetted a townsite in 1913, is located in the midlands wheatbelt area , 23 kilometres southeast of Three Springs. It is named after "Carnamah", the name of a pastoral property established by Duncan Macpherson in this location in the late 1860s. A telegraph station was established here in 1873, and is referred to in 1876 by the famous explorer Ernest Giles. Giles spells it "Cornamah" in his book, but "Carnamah" on his map.
Macpherson's property "Carnamah" derives its name from Carnamah Spring, first
mentioned in an application for grazing leases in 1861 in the name of Macpherson and Slater. The name is probably Aboriginal of unknown meaning, or possibly is a Gaelic word meaning "cairn of the cattle" or "cattle rocks".
View Suburb Profile