The townsite of Quindalup is located on Geographe Bay, 250 kilometres west southwest of Perth and 21 kilometres west of Busselton. The Quindalup area is the site of one of the state's earliest timber industries, and a timber mill was built here and timber exported through a jetty on the coast in the early 1860s. McGibbon and Yelverton used the name Quindalup in referring to their mill in the 1860s, and in the 1870s the government reserved land here. In 1899 a number of local fishermen in the area requested the Minister for Lands to subdivide the beachfront land. The Minister approved the subdivision, surveys of "working mens blocks" were made, and the townsite of Quindalup gazetted in 1899.
Quindalup is an Aboriginal name meaning "the place of quenda's". The Quenda is a small bandicoot common in the area.
View Suburb Profile