Highbury is a townsite in the Great Southern Region, 16 kilometres south, southeast of Narrogin. It was originally gazetted in 1905 as Wolwolling, taking its name from the railway siding established here in 1894. The siding name was derived from the Aboriginal name of a pool in the nearby Arthur River.
In June 1905 the Wolwolling Progress Association applied to have the townsite renamed, claiming the name was too similar to other names, and letters and parcels were going astray. The new name suggested was "Linton". This name was rejected because of duplication, and in 1906 the Progress Association nominated Highbury as their next choice. No origin was given with the name, although it is most likely English, as there are a number of Highburys in England. The name change was gazetted in 1906.