The name North Beach began as a descriptive name, derived from the suburb being at the time the most northerly of Perth's beaches. It was assigned in 1888 when surveyor Charles Crossland referred to the pastoral leases of Samuel Richard Hamersley as his "north beach coastal run". The suburb was originally set aside as a timber reserve in the 1860s and then as a quarantine area for camels entering in the 1890s. A number of orchards operated in the area with the only evidence that remains today an old olive tree on Hope Street.
Life in North Beach
Residential styles in North Beach include a mix of holiday dwellings from before and after World War II, some former workers' houses, and modern dwellings. As a residential suburb, North Beach has small shopping areas on the coast and at Flora Terrace and Castle Street which offer basic commercial services. The suburb features a tennis club and has two primary schools - North Beach Primary School and Our Lady of Grace School.