The name "Bassendean" was first recorded by Surveyor J.W. Gregory in 1841 as the name of 1455 acres for Mr. P. Brown, who had his homestead on the West Bank of Swan River. Peter Brown (or Broun) was WA's first Colonial Secretary in 1832 and apparently named his property on the Swan River after a family property in England, Bassendean in Berwickshire. This area was also previously known as West Guildford. A competition to choose a new name for the area was held in 1922, 2 school children nominated the name "Bassendean" after Peter Brown's property.